Balance of Power questline is a terrific thing for transmogs.
First, it unlocks another artifact weapon appearance – and great as such. Second, you’ll visit almost every mythic dungeon from Legion and probably get some items there. Third, and most important, it requires multiple Emerald Nightmare/The Nighhold runs. As of patch 8.3. in Battle for Azeroth they are perfectly soloable by any class or spec on Normal difficulty, so it’s a great opportunity to get your Nighthold Normal class sets on the way!
If, alike me, you’ve missed the questline during Legion days and doing it now, the guide will provide the essential information and milestones to complete it.
First and foremost, prep.
Balance of Power – Quest Requirements:
- Order Hall Campaign to make Kalec offer you the starting quest
- Demon Hunters/Blue Dragons questline in Azsuna to procede
- Nightfallen questlines until you can complete Moon Guard quests in Suramar to procede
Balance of Power – Reputation Requirements:
- Honored with Court of Farondis (Azsuna faction)
- Revered with Valar’jar (Stormheim faction)
- Revered with Nightfallen (Suramar faction)
I naturally suggest you play through Suramar/Azsuna/Stormheim questlines to get reputation fast, and then make use of emissaries, world quests and also rep tokens from order hall missions.
Balance of Power – Questline Hubs
Your first quest hub is Azsuna, namely the blue dragon hideout. Kalec and Senegos will send you to do stuff and bring power items to them so you could enhance your weapon. Here’s what you need:
- Complete Eye of Azshara (Mythic) – the Azsuna dungeon.
- Complete Darkheart Thicket (Mythic) – the Val’sharah dungeon
- Purchase an item from Court of Farondis – that’s when you need to be Honored.
- Collect 30 Blood of Sargeras – these come from dungeon bosses, order hall table missions and world quests.
This part – with Blood of Sargeras being our first chokepoint – could be completed in one or two days. I’m not a fan of multiple dungeon runs, so I limit myself to world quests and table missions only. Of course, you get about 12 bloods from running Eye and Thicket dungeons for quest too.
Then comes our second chokepoint: Emerald Nightmare raid. You need 2 weekly resets to complete the following:
- Kill Il’gynoth and Xavius for quest items
- Collect 30 Corrupted Essences
Quest items are a 100% drop. Essences drop from every boss, and they range for about 19-23 per one raid run, so basically you need 1,5 Emerald Nightmare raid runs. You can do this solo or in a group, but you may clear the raid only once per week (difficulty doesn’t matter as long as it’s not LFR).
When we empower the artifact, Kalec and the champion leave Senegos and move out to Meredil’s Nightfallen hideout.
By this step you will need a completed Moon Guard questline in Suramar – so that quest NPCs appeared in your Meredil base, and Revered with Nightfallen to purchase the quest item from Thalyssra. The list of endeavors:
- Complete Vault of the Wardens (Mythic) – the Azsuna dungeon.
- Complete Court of Stars (Mythic) – the Suramar dungeon
- Complete Arcway (Mythic) – the Suramar dungeon
- Purchase an item from Thalyssra – that’s when you need to be Revered.
- Summon and kill a demon in Faronaar, Azsuna
The last piece is tricky, but it’s actually not. You should come to the marked quest spot and kill any demons around to collect 5 small portal shards – which you use to make a portal stone and summon the quest demon at the altar. 10 minutes tops, and the drop is great.
With demon chaos energies being too volatile to use in our weapon, we now go to Stormheim for Odyn’s blessing.
You need to be Revered with Valar’jar – also get your story questlines done here. List of jobs:
- Complete Maw of Souls (Mythic) – the Stormheim dungeon
- Complete Neltharion’s Lair (Mythic) – the Highmountain dungeon
- Kill 3 beasts in Stormheim, Highmountain and Azsuna to make a feast for Odyn
- Complete Halls of Valor (Mythic) – the Stormheim dungeon
When doing the last one, make sure you use your feast right after you enter the dungeon – there will be a sparkling mark a few steps ahead. Then you can complete the dungeon as always and after defeating Odyn wait out for his speech to get the required blessing.
Back in Suramar and Meredil base, Kalec and the Nightfallen will now send you to the final step: The Nighthold raid.
- Kill Trilliax, Elisande and Gul’dan for quest items – 100% drop
- Collect 20 Nightshards
The Nightshards drop from every boss, but it’s not 100%. So this may take a while – you may need up to 3-4 resets to get them all.
HOW LONG IS THE BALANCE OF POWER QUESTLINE?
All in all the questline takes about a month to complete:
- Week 1: Dungeons -> Blood of Sargeras -> Emerald Nightmare Round 1
- Week 2: Emerald Nightmare Round 2 -> Dungeons -> The Nighthold Round 1
- Week 3+: The Nighthold Round 2+ until completion
Now some bad news: the questline is not account-wide, so you’ll have to bring every class through.