And the final piece of pre-patch battles is now live. This is pretty much it, the moves were made, the figures set on the board. We have Azshara cinematic to come yet, the third and the last of Warbringers shorts, but it’s more of a hint to the future rather than addressing the current events.
Like with burning of Teldrassil, the battle ended with both victory and failure.
With burning the world tree, Sylvanas eradicated the major Alliance outpost in Kalimdor, but at the same time she failed to shatter it from inside and break its morale: she received an immediate response with the mighty fist of the whole Alliance military, including night elves.
With taking Lordaeron, the Alliance effectively got rid of the Horde outpost – and not only the outpost, the source of blight in Eastern Kingdoms and Sylvanas’ home city. Yet the victory did not help to claim the ancient citadel: it is presumed that the ruins are now inhabitable. Sylvanas’ ambush failed as well, all the leaders survived the dead end encounter.
I’ve completed scenario for both Horde and Alliance today. Here’s the highlights:
– Sylvanas behaves like a bitch. Her last talk with Saurfang before his heroic stand could cause nothing but surprise. Surely you may care for the feelings of the living not the very least, but you’re warchief, for gods’ sake. You’re a politician. Show some respect – a flicker of it would be nice, am I right?
– The reaction of Baine is precious. The Horde is not too eager to follow her. I’ll be waiting for her kicking the bucket. She’s the Gul’dan type of villain to me now, not Garrosh one.
– Small flavor thing: there is a goblin spy Renzik that works for SI:7. He was mentioned in the book, and it’s nice we saw him during the Undercity evacuation, acting on Alliance side.
– Small flavor thing: everyone who played Warcraft III would notice the absolute similarity of how Anduin entered the throne room and the same walk of Arthas when he killed his father. Google the cinematic from W3, it’s awesome and of movie-quality. Even the angle of camera shooting is exactly the same. But of course, there’s nothing similar between the two characters.
– Gnomes saved the day – twice! First they came in tanks, and then they transferred the Alliance over blight and allowed them to end the game. Finally, yes, finally we see some significant gnome contribution – they were denied this honor throughout… all Warcraft history?
– As I wrote yesterday, it was awesome to feel my self one of the many. No one addresses to you as a champion, a hero, no one says that only you could save the day. we were a part of the army, and it was awesome.
– Genn’s animations.
– Finally, this:
I don’t know how it could be more awesome :) My favorite character just got a moment of epic proportions. I’m so hanging around her during this expansion.
As you probably know, my main, gnome frost mage Micromantica is Jaina’s apprentice by background. I could never be happier to see my teacher literally rule the battlefield.
The scenario appears to be an awesome introduction to the expansion. We’ve never seen such a widescale battle before or participated in one.
What is more important, it is almost cinema-like. Watching playthrough maybe interesting even for non-gamers, and this is awesome.
I hope we see more of these epic battles in the upcoming expansion. Six days, guys. Six days left.